April 22, 2008

Twinkle, Twinkle, Little Star

Twinkle, Twinkle, Little Star

Twinkle, twinkle, little star,
How I wonder what you are!
Up above the world so high,
Like a diamond in the sky!

Oh my, that is all I remember!!!!.......It's been 38 years or so since I have recited that nursery rhyme to my children. LOL

We all know it as a popular English nursery rhyme that we taught to our children when they were young. Along with “Star Light, Star Bright, Wish I May, Wish I might. Wow, I actually found myself star gazing tonight. Something I have not done in many, many years.

I remember when I was young growing up in the city of Boston, we only had the roof tops to either sunbath or star gaze. Being on the roof top of those beautiful old buildings is an experience I will always remember. (my niece emailed me after reading my Journal to remind me we used to call it "Roof Top Pebble Beach") LOL I lived with my large family on the 5th floor of a very old brownstone building. Til this day, I can’t comprehend how my mother took care of all of us. Of course, this never entered my mind until after I became a parent of two. How did she do it with so many children to feed and cloth and take care of?????? God rest her soul. She didn't grow up with the luxuries the young mothers have today, washers, dryers, refrigerators, (we had an ice box) playpens, toys for the children, etc. Gosh, today the young mothers have an Au Pair (live in babysitters) and cleaning ladies!

Tonight, I felt a bit antsy and lonely or whatever it was that I was feeling after I had dinner by myself, I decided to go for a walk…..I live in a condo in sunny South Florida….upon my return home from my walk, I stepped inside the locked gate of the community pool area…(Condo Rules…no one is allowed in the pool area after dusk) So, I was a bad girl and disobeyed the rules tonight. There I sat on a comfortable beach lounge chair and looked up at the beautiful sunset.

Prior to retirement, I didn’t have time to do this cost free pleasure. Who had the time, I had to cook, eat dinner, prepare my clothes for work the next day, iron, do laundry, go to bed………..Ugh! Weekends were filled with errands, grocery shopping, cleaning the house and cooking some meals ahead for the following week. And, all this is after I raised my children.....wow...when they were young and still in school.........triple all that work stated above. When you are younger, you have more energy. I know I couldn't do it again today at my age.

I usually walk during the daylight hours but tonight was different for some reason. I got back in the house in time to see “Dancing with the Stars” and “Boston Legal”. Two of my favorite programs…….

Ballroom dancingI was a "ballroom dancer" and I love "law" and lived in that legal world for many, many years.

It started to get dark but I was in no hurry to go back in my house. It brought back memories of me and my children in their special weekend retreats to Vermont and Maine gazing at the beautiful stars up above. Did you ever experience a solar eclipse? Did you ever kick back around a bon fire and identify the constellations? Did you ever see a Meteor shower? Oh and making Smores on a stick! Fascinating!

Tonight was an impressive show for Dancing with the Stars. Boston Legal........amongst their normal humor……..they challenged the Supreme Court! Yeah, the writers manage to get their point across one way or another! Kudos!

I didn't need my watch to tell me the time....I knew my programs were due to come on TV so I got back in the house in time to watch them both.

Whatever you do, take the time to appreciate the natural wonders above. That special twinkling light that traveled millions of miles to your very own eyes to view!

Amazing! Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star!Photobucket

Have a great day

P.S. Yes, I made a wish on a star tonight!

3 comments:

  1. I always like to look at the stars when I can; I'm surprised living in a big city I can see them clearly and make out some of the constellations

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  2. It has probably only been 38 years or so since I'm barely over 40 now :)

    Glad you were able to see some stars with all the bright city lights. I love sitting out at the bon fire in VT and looking at all the stars and constellations. I hope you get to see the Auora Borealis someday. I've seen it a few times and it is always a spectacular site.

    XOXOX

    MB

    ReplyDelete
  3. It sounds like you had a beautiful night walk!
    Congratulations on being one of Dan's Guest Editor Picks!
    Lori

    ReplyDelete