July 7, 2013

Listen Up! Protect yourself from No See Ums



 No-See-Ums.....

They go by many names, and while "Biting Midges" may be technically one of the more accurate ones, No-See-Ums fits the best as you never seem to see the little buggers!

They are so small, they can even enter through my screened in patio.

Years ago, I went to the doctor and got steroid injections to try and relieve the pain and itch.  It was a very painful procedure since I had over 100 bites all over my body.

Treatment after you get bit? Well, not much works. I use antihistamine for relief from the severe itching.

I mentioned my dilemma to my son and he suggested Lavender.  So, I did my research and found that Lavender is excellent to use for No See Ums!


~ The Herb To Grow ~




This flowering herb is one of the most widely used essential oils in aromatherapy and has medicinal, culinary and beauty uses with therapeutic benefits when used dried, fresh or infused with oil.

I also found some relief from using Avon's Skin So Soft.

I read an article that if you drink down a shot of apple cider vinegar, it will keep them at bay!  I'll try anything at this point.

I'm getting bit in my house while watching TV in my den.  They claim the little buggers are attracted to light.  I just may stop using my battery operated candles too.  Yet, real lavender lit candles help.

I have also landed in a hospital many years ago from sand fleas!  I was enjoying my first trip to Florida on the beach with several girlfriends and I'm the only one that got bit all over.  It ruined my first vacation as a young woman in my 20's.


~ Ideas and Tips ~

Rub lavender oil or even lavender flowers on your pulse points of the body which are also the hot spots. Include under arms, behind ears, neck and on the inner arm area behind the elbow to repel insects.

Basil is also said to be a great bug repellent so make sure you have that in your garden growing or in a container planted up.  I also have kept fresh Basil leaves one on each shelf of my cabinet that contains grocery items.  This I found does work!

White vinegar rubbed into the skin has proven successful for keeping No See Ums, mosquitoes, gnats and fleas away.

If anyone has any successful tips, please send to me!  Thanks!

8 comments:

  1. liked your tips. Hope you find some relief.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have no idea what to do - sorry. But a funny story - we took my son when he was in school - to his school apt. - withing seconds we were bit from head to toe - had to argue like heck to get a different one - they were just going to spray - can you believe it? sandie

    ReplyDelete
  3. I use "Bounce" Fabric Softener sheets for black flies and "no see ums" and mus-skittos and they do pretty good, Grandma always kept lavender tied up in clumps hanging in her closets on the farm. Not many people on here use the term "No -see-ums" !!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Rose,
    I found your blog through my friend Sandie (Chatty Crone). It is a lovely blog with lots of good content.
    I enjoyed reading your posts.
    I hope that you will visit my blog too. Thank you.

    Blessings, Catherine

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good entry about a very serious subject. I didn't know this, the dangerous part, but a friend in Maine had a son who gained permanent scars from so many bites.
    I was told that Black flies are No-see-ums on the AT. And it was suggested Bounce by some hikers. Sherry opted for the full body no see um netting.
    Love from New Mexico.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I do hope you get some relief. That would be terrible. Mosquitoes are a problem here with all the rain we've had. I like to use Jean Nate after bath lotion and splash on. It works better than Skin so Soft. I found this out when I was camping. It sounds like you are trying to use only natural things as a repellant, but maybe spraying a bug spray around your doors and screens would deter them from coming inside.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Never had a problem with "No-see-Ums" but when I go to the 'Glades fishing the mosquitos and especially the horseflies make life pretty miserable around sundown.

    Jimmy

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dear Rose, I am stopping by to say thank you for visiting my blog and leaving a nice comment.
    I hope all is well.
    Blessings dear. Catherine xo

    ReplyDelete